Lent Sermon Series
Lectionary Readings for the season of Lent 2021
|February 21, 2021 — 11 AM service only||Genesis 9:8-17||Psalm 25:1-10||1 Peter 3:18-22||Mark 1:9-15|
|February 28, 2021||Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16||Psalm 22:23-31||Romans 4:13-25||Mark 8:31-38|
|March 7, 2021||Exodus 20:1-17||Psalm 19||1 Corinthians 1:18-25||John 2:13-22|
|March 14, 2021||Numbers 21:4-9||Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22||Ephesians 2:1-10||John 3:14-21|
|March 21, 2021||Jeremiah 31:31-34||Psalm 51:1-12|
|Hebrews 5:5-10||John 12:20-33|
|March 28, 2021 (Palm Sunday)||Isaiah 50:4-9a||Psalm 31:9-16||Philippians 2:5-11||Mark 14:1-15:47|
|April 4, 2021 (Easter/Resurrection Sunday)||Acts 10:34-43 or Isaiah 25:6-9||Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24||1 Corinthians 15:1-11 or Acts 10:34-43||John 20:1-18 or Mark 16:1-8|
Sermon Notes – Lent 1B: A New Identity (Sunday, 2/21/2020)
1. Lent is a time to Remember our new Identity in Christ.
REFLECT: Do you remember a time before you had an identity in Christ? What does it mean to you to be a dearly love child of God?
2. Lent is a time to Examine, Confess, Repent, and Sacrifice
REFLECT: Is there 30 minutes this week that you can sit in silence before the Lord, undistracted, to examine your heart, confess you sins, repent, and (re-)commit to living a life of sacrifice as Jesus did? When you’re done, if God speaks anything to you, share it with another follower of Jesus.
3. Lent is a time to Cling to God’s Promises of Salvation.
REFLECT: How/when were you baptized? If you haven’t been baptized, why haven’t you? How do you cling to God’s promises?
Sermon Notes – Lent 2B (Sunday, 2/28/2020)
1. Jesus rebuked Peter, “Get behind me Satan! For you are not setting your mind on things of God, but on the things of man.” Peter did not want the Law fulfilled in sending Jesus to the Cross. (Mark 8:31-33)
REFLECT: What is the relationship between your faith and God’s Law in your life? (Romans 4:13-15)
2. God wants us to have faith that God will multiply your “Descendants.” (Romans 4:20-25)
REFLECT: Do you have any Spiritual children? If not, might God be leading you to reach out to disciple anyone around you this week?
3. Jesus invites us to take up our Cross daily and Follow Him. We identify in the sufferings of Jesus, just as He identified in the sufferings of God’s people, Israel. (Psalm 22).
REFLECT: How is Lent going? Have you chosen to give anything up? If so, what have you replaced it with? If you haven’t given anything up for Lent, ask God is He might want you to.
Sermon Notes – Lent 3B: Pure Worship (03/07/2021)
1. If we enter worship seeking our own Profit, we are in danger of being Whipped.
REFLECT: When you come to a church service, what are your motivations? What are you hoping to gain? What are you planning to give?
2. God’s desire is that we regularly Purify our Hearts.
REFLECT: What do you need to drive out of the place of your life that is designed to worship God?
3. God does not Need to use us.
However, if we are willing to allow Jesus to Redeem us, He will take Delight in using us.
REFLECT: Do you need to surrender anything to Jesus today? Do you feel like you are serving God and others the way that God designed you to?
Sermon Notes – Lent 4B: Turn Your Eyes to Jesus
1. God didn’t save the people of Israel until after they had Repented and looked toward God.
REFLECT: What do you think it takes to be “saved” by Jesus? What were you taught as a child?
2. What we Love, we set our Eyes upon.
What our Eyes are set upon is where we often look to for Salvation.
REFLECT: What things do you love in this life? What have you set your eyes upon? How can you set your eyes upon Jesus in all things?
Sermon Notes – Lent 5B: A Life of Sacrifice
- The Good News is for EVERYONE…especially for those that are Different than you.
When we share the Gospel it brings God Glory.
REFLECT: Do you regularly interact with those that are different than you? If not, how could you? How are you standing up for the oppressed in Jesus name?
- The Good News is much more Costly than most understand.
The Good News calls us to:
A) Sacrifice our lives
B) Follow Jesus
C) Serve God and others
REFLECT: What has the Good News cost you? What have you had to give up for the sake of following Jesus? How can you avoid “easy believism”?
- When we live a life of Sacrifice to God, as Jesus did, the Light Pierces the darkness.
REFLECT: Does the way you live shine the Light of Jesus into the darkness? Can people see something different in your life in comparison with the world?
Sermon Notes – Palm Sunday Year B – John 12:12-16
- When God keeps His promises from Scripture, do you give him your attention?
REFLECT: How have you seen God keep His promises in your life? What has been your response when He faithfully keeps His promise around you?
2. When God’s Kingdom seems upside down, does it get your attention?
REFLECT: How have you experienced God’s Kingdom being different than the kingdom of the world? How do you respond when you notice the differences?
3. Does what can be gained by following Jesus keep your attention?
If God has your attention – what will you allow him to do with it?
REFLECT: How have you witnessed other Jesus followers gaining something by following Jesus (both good things and difficult things)? What does the world lose when they choose NOT to follow Him? What could you gain by allowing Jesus to keep your attention?
Sermon Notes – Easter: Do you know the Gardener?
1. Even Jesus’ closest 12 Disciples left the empty tomb before Seeing Jesus face to face.
REFLECT: If you were at the empty tomb, do you think you would have left, or would you have stayed? Why or why not?
2. Mary’s life was Radically and Undeniably changed by a relationship with Jesus Christ.
REFLECT: Has your life been changed by a relationship with Jesus Christ? If so how? If not, are you sure you really have a relationship with Jesus? If not, is there a strong Christian you know that you could talk to about this?
3. Mary was right to think Jesus was a Gardener.
Thru a Relationship with Jesus, God wants to Cultivate and Nourish our Resurrected lives in order to share the Good News with others.
REFLECT: How has God been a gardener in your life? How have you shared the Gospel in the past? How is God calling you to share the Gospel both now and in the future?
Sermon Notes – Who are you eating with?
1. God created us with an internal Desire to Eat together.
When we eat together, we share life together.
REFLECT: During Covid, who have you been eating and sharing life together with? Is there anyone that you miss eating a sharing life together with?
2. As we eat together, Jesus People tell Jesus Stories.
REFLECT: Do you have a habit of talking about Jesus when you share a meal with other followers of Jesus? If so, how? If not, how could you start?
3. A lost and hurting world is Hungry to Hear the message of “repentance for the forgiveness of sins.” We are His Witnesses.
REFLECT: Who is God calling you to eat with in this next season of life? Who is your church called to eat with?