Lent Sermon Series
Lectionary Readings for the season of Lent 2021
|February 21, 2021 — 11 AM service only||Genesis 9:8-17||Psalm 25:1-10||1 Peter 3:18-22||Mark 1:9-15|
|February 28, 2021||Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16||Psalm 22:23-31||Romans 4:13-25||Mark 8:31-38|
|March 7, 2021||Exodus 20:1-17||Psalm 19||1 Corinthians 1:18-25||John 2:13-22|
|March 14, 2021||Numbers 21:4-9||Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22||Ephesians 2:1-10||John 3:14-21|
|March 21, 2021||Jeremiah 31:31-34||Psalm 51:1-12|
|Hebrews 5:5-10||John 12:20-33|
|March 28, 2021 (Palm Sunday)||Isaiah 50:4-9a||Psalm 31:9-16||Philippians 2:5-11||Mark 14:1-15:47|
|April 4, 2021 (Easter/Resurrection Sunday)||Acts 10:34-43 or Isaiah 25:6-9||Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24||1 Corinthians 15:1-11 or Acts 10:34-43||John 20:1-18 or Mark 16:1-8|
Sermon Notes – Lent 1B: A New Identity (Sunday, 2/21/2020)
1. Lent is a time to Remember our new Identity in Christ.
REFLECT: Do you remember a time before you had an identity in Christ? What does it mean to you to be a dearly love child of God?
2. Lent is a time to Examine, Confess, Repent, and Sacrifice
REFLECT: Is there 30 minutes this week that you can sit in silence before the Lord, undistracted, to examine your heart, confess you sins, repent, and (re-)commit to living a life of sacrifice as Jesus did? When you’re done, if God speaks anything to you, share it with another follower of Jesus.
3. Lent is a time to Cling to God’s Promises of Salvation.
REFLECT: How/when were you baptized? If you haven’t been baptized, why haven’t you? How do you cling to God’s promises?
Sermon Notes – Lent 2B (Sunday, 2/28/2020)
1. Jesus rebuked Peter, “Get behind me Satan! For you are not setting your mind on things of God, but on the things of man.” Peter did not want the Law fulfilled in sending Jesus to the Cross. (Mark 8:31-33)
REFLECT: What is the relationship between your faith and God’s Law in your life? (Romans 4:13-15)
2. God wants us to have faith that God will multiply your “Descendants.” (Romans 4:20-25)
REFLECT: Do you have any Spiritual children? If not, might God be leading you to reach out to disciple anyone around you this week?
3. Jesus invites us to take up our Cross daily and Follow Him. We identify in the sufferings of Jesus, just as He identified in the sufferings of God’s people, Israel. (Psalm 22).
REFLECT: How is Lent going? Have you chosen to give anything up? If so, what have you replaced it with? If you haven’t given anything up for Lent, ask God is He might want you to.